Wednesday, March 18, 2015

My Hair Before Lupus



For anyone who has Lupus, hair loss is one of the many symptoms of the disease. For me, it was very hard to get used to this constant battle with hair loss. 

The picture above is my hair a few years before my diagnosis with Lupus. My hair was long, thick and full. Once the disease set in my hair began falling out in several strands daily, and then eventually it would come out in chunks. 

I have had to cut my hair extremely short (I'm talking like Pixie short) several times over the past ten years. This was very hard for me since I had always been used to long hair and felt long hair looked best on me. 

After every cut, it would take about two years or so to grow my hair back to its original length. However, the texture and fullness of my hair has never been the same since being diagnosed with Lupus. 

Recently, my hair had started to fall out in strands again. I decided to try a hair loss product to see if I could keep from having to drastically cut my hair again. 

I have been using a product called Nioxin for about a year now, and my hair loss has slowed dramatically. I still have a few strands coming out daily, but not the huge chunks like before. Also, the patches of hair that had already fallen out are now starting to grow back! 

Even with using this product, my hair will never be the thickness and fullness it was in the picture above. But I am glad I have found an alternative to the drastic Pixie cut. I now feel I can deal with the hair loss a little bit better. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment